When a tooth is cracked, decayed, or damaged, a dental crown is used. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and/or to improve its appearance. Crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line.
A dental crown may be needed in the following situations:
- To protect a weak tooth (for instance, from decay) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there is not enough tooth structure
- To hold a bridge in place
- To cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
Our permanent crowns are made of all ceramic materials (porcelain).
- Ceramic (porcelain) are very popular because of their excellent esthetics and ability to create a more beautiful and natural smile. Our Doctors utilize primarily three types of porcelain crowns: Select, Procera, and Empress. These all-ceramic crowns provide the optimum in all-ceramic materials, combined with exceptional natural-looking esthetics, and state-of-the-art CAD/CAM design technology.
4605 Bellewood Circle
Huntsville, AL 35802